Travel Tips to Thirukoilur, Call for Volunteers and places of interest near Thirukoilur
As posted earlier, Shri Shri 1008 Shri Raghuthama Gurugala aradhana is from 10th Jan to 13th Jan. Srigalu will be at Bangalore on 10th and at Thirukoilur from 11th to 13th. The moola brindavana of Shri Raghothama Gurugalu is in Thirukoilur, Tamil Nadu. We have already posted the program details at Bangalore. The Thirukoilur program details may be found athttps://www.facebook.com/raghuttamateertha.sannidanatrikiolur
Volunteers are required at Thirukoilur, preferably youngsters who can serve food to the large number of devotees that gather for the aradhana. Please call Sri Prabhanjan Bellary on 8883068044 to register as a volunteer. Alternately the secretary Sri Anandhatheerthachar Chimmalagi can be contacted on 04153224690. It is preferable for volunteers to stay till late evening so that serving of food can be done in its entirety, instead of trying to rush back after serving one pankthi. Kindly do the best you can to offer service at this great place.
At Bangalore there are sufficient volunteers now, thanks to the continuing enthusiasm shown by many youngsters. This happy state is due to the grace of Srigalu whose Upadeshas have been imbibed by many youth of Bangalore in the past couple of years. Infact we are glad to state that many young volunteers have also started going for pata in the past year or so. Those who are not volunteers but want to register at Bangalore may do so by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning your name, age and contact details.
Routes to Thirukoilur and travel tips:
1. From Chennai there are frequent buses to Villupuram from where one can take a bus to Thirukoilur. Ask for Raghothama Swamy madam (in that area, people call it as madam in Tamil and not as mutt), which is just on the outskirts of Thirukoilur town. Buses will stop just outside the mutt. Actually the mutt is in Manampoondi which is the outskirts of Thirukoilur. If you are driving down from Chennai it will take approximately 5 hours.
2. From Bangalore one can take a direct bus to Thirukoilur. If direct buses are full, you can go to Tiruvannamalai from where frequent buses are there to Thirukoilur. If both these routes are full, then one can go to Villupram and then go to Thirukoilur. While alighting ask for Raghothama Swamy madam and get down.
3. If you are driving by car from Bangalore it will take approximately 6 hours. One possible route is Hosur-Krishnagiri-Tiruvannamalai-Thirukoilur. Currently Krishnagiri to Tiruvannamalai 4 laning project is still going on in some stretches and hence the road is bad. Alternately you can take the route Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Tiruvannamalai-Thirukoilur, which is slightly longer distance wise, but the roads are relatively smoother and would take less time than the other route. In the Polur route one can also visit Shri Sankarshana Wodeyara brindavana on the way. With a deviation of about half an hour’s drive on Vellore-Thiruvannamalai route one can visit Sathyavijaya Nagaram also where the moola brindavana of Shri Shri 1008 Shri Satyavijaya Theertharu is there. At Vellore also there is a math at a place called Chembakkam which comes just before you enter Vellore city. There the brindavans of Shri Vidyapathi Theertharu and Shri Satyadhiraja Theertharu (both from Uttaradi Math lineage, but didn’t come to peeta) are there. In the same complex in Vellore you can find the moola brindavanas of Shri Sripathi Theertharu and Shri Kambal Ramachandra Theertharu (both from Vyasaraja Math).
4. From Hubli, Dharwad there is also a train that goes via Bangalore to Thirukoilur. It is called Puducherry Express and train number is 11005. It arrives at Thirukoilur station by 5:40 AM in the morning. Actually this train comes from Mumbai. This train runs only on select days of the week. From Thirukoilur station, an auto can be taken to the Raghothama Swamy madam.
5. From within Tamil Nadu, from any city or town there are plenty of buses that go to Villupuram or Thiruvannamalai from where one can go to Thirukoilur. The buses from either Villupuram or Thiruvannamalai are very frequent (typically once every few minutes).
Places of interest: There are many good places of interest for the religious mind. Thirukoilur town has a temple for Lord Trivikrama. Some thing unique here is that Lord Trivikrama carries Shanku in the right hand and Chakra in the left hand. There is a place called Andhili where a temple for Lord Lakshminarasimha is there. Thiruvannamalai itself is popular for the temple of Arunachaleshwara, where Maha Rudra devaru is supposed to be present as a Jyothi. Srimushnam with Lord Boovaraha Swamy is at about a 2.5 hour drive from Thirukoilur. Veeracholapuram which has the brindavan of Shri Shri 1008 Shri Satyanatha Theertharu is at about 25 kms from Thirukoilur. The kshetra and nearby places offer endless possibilities for a pious devotee. We pray to Shri Raghothama Gurugalu to bless you with a visit to Thirukoilur at the earliest.
Hariya Sevayalli Niranthara, (Bangalore) Chaturmasya Seva Samithi.